Choose the Right Amazon Product Category & Browsing Tree to Boost Discoverability & Ranking
Choosing the right Product Category and the best Browsing Tree directly affects any keywords for which you are attempting to rank as they work hand in hand. No doubt you know the in’s and out’s of keyword optimizations such as the content for your Title, Bullets and Descriptions, plus the backoffice search terms. You may even be gaining momentum on your Sponsored Ads. But if you’re if you’ve ventured into the wrong Category; you could be throwing your money away and limiting your product exposure detrimentally. This intricate web of variables ultimately impacts your Amazon sales in your favor when done correctly.
If you’re not clear about which Amazon Product Category is the right one, read Amazon’s Overview of Categories before arbitrarily adding a new product and mistakenly selecting the wrong one.
Seller Support Speak
If you’ve had the need to speak with Seller Support regarding an Amazon Product Category or subcategories, you quickly learned that they don’t use the same terms as a Seller does. What we call subcategories is what they call Pathways or Browse Nodes or Browsing Trees or any combination of those words. Although for all intent and purposes, they are one in the same; Seller Support will quickly guide you to two different locations to make a distinction.
For example: You can see the Main Category is Home & Kitchen on the left side of an Amazon search screen. Then there’s a subcategory called Storage & Organization. Under that, there are 10 more subcategories. When Seller Support says “subcategories” that’s what they’re referring to.
What Sellers call subcategories, is on the Product Detail Page in the Production Information section, right under the BSR of the Main Category. However, from Amazon’s perspective, “What you are seeing is a Browsing Tree showing multiple ways one can reach your product.”
It’s important to know the difference when you’re trying to communicate with Seller Support. It’s not a language barrier, it’s just Amazon lingo.
In actuality and you’ll see as you read on, each Node (Home & Kitchen > Storage & Organization > Laundry Storage & Organization > Laundry Hampers) in the above Browse Tree example is in fact a subcategory with the exception of Home & Kitchen which is the main Amazon Product Category). Don’t waste your time making that point with Seller Support though. Let’s just keep it between us.
By the way, notice there is only one Browse Tree in this particular listing. That’s because Amazon says, “ For newly added products, there will be only one browse tree for the listing. For existing listings with multiple browse nodes, they will be reduced by our catalog team.”
So, heads up if you have more than one Browse Tree and it suddenly disappears. No need to panic.
A Misguided Strategy
Probably one of the most common strategies Sellers attempt includes finding a less competitive category that may be “kind-of-sort-of” related to their product. They do this to obtain higher BSRs and quickly, even if it’s in a semi-obscure category. But beware! Amazon is on to you and those days are over. Soon, if not now, you won’t be able to list a product if it’s not in the correct main Amazon Product Category or suddenly get your listing blocked from shopper’s searches. The worse part is that Amazon may not even tell you they’ve hidden your listing. Don’t risk it.
The wisest time to figure out how competitive the categories you’re considering are, would be during the product research phase. Let’s say you’re thinking about selling Laundry Baskets (because you sourced one that’s so much cooler than everyone else’s at a fabulously low acquisition cost). You can run a quick assessment right from your Amazon shopping account. (By the way, this should not be your only criteria nor competitor evaluation.)
Moving on…if I type Laundry Basket in All Departments, I can see the 2 main Amazon Product Category options available:
In this case, it’s Home & Kitchen or Industrial & Scientific.
Between those two categories, Industrial & Scientific clearly has fewer competitors…
Herein lies your critical decision. Are you tempted to play in the sandbox with fewer Sellers: 640 versus 12,203? Ask yourself, “Who is the majority of your target market for hypothetical way cool laundry basket?” Is it mostly used in hotels and/or labs (Industrial & Scientific) or is it more of a household item? The answer to that question indicates the Browse Tree Pathway and Search Terms shoppers will most commonly use to find the laundry basket they desire.
If your laundry basket could be used both in households AND in industrial scenarios, then simply choose the main Product Category that primary targets your largest customer group. Keep in mind that you can only select one Product Category.
Amazon’s Catalog Team Decides Pathways?
Remember, Pathways = Nodes = Browse Trees = any combination of those words.
According to Seller Support, “6 months ago the Amazon catalog team decided that they will add only one browse tree for one listing. Browse trees are set by Amazon, not sellers. Sellers can only get to list it in the appropriate category. Amazon decides the browse tree.”
To clarify, you can actually create your own Browse Tree as Amazon offers a Browse Tree Guide. Perhaps this Seller Support rep really meant to say that if you choose poorly, the Catalog team has the right to change it.
Create Your Own Browse Tree Guide
As you know, Amazon customers find products through searching and browsing. When customers browse, they can further refine their search by choosing a specific Amazon Product Category and subcategories. (On the left side of the monitor as mentioned earlier).
You can use a Browse Tree Guide (BTG) to help identify the correct categories for your products. A Browse Tree Guide is a category-specific document that provides unique numbers and keywords that are associated with a certain browse path on Amazon. You can use this information to assign your products to specific categories and subcategories.
To use a Browse Tree Guide:
1. Go to Inventory File Templates and download the appropriate Browse Tree Guide for your product.
2. Follow the instructions in the guide and choose the categories and subcategories for your products. Use the corresponding browse node IDs when you upload your inventory template file.
Given the unfathomable amount of metadata Amazon has collected over decades of site visits, browsing history and purchases; using Amazon’s pre-determined Browsing Trees should feel like winning the lottery. Even if Amazon ends up making the decision on which Browse Tree is most appropriate for you; they’re far more knowledgeable. And if you totally disagree with what they’ve selected as your one and only Browse Tree; contact Seller Support to explain your what’s and why’s. Frankly, the fact that they have Pathways backed by unlimited research is a major coup for every Seller.
Align Keyword Search Terms with Your Amazon Product Category & Subcategories
Looking to improve product visibility and keyword ranking? Of course you are! Each subcategory a shopper selects during their search that is also a part of your Browsing Tree and included in your front and backend search terms, absolutely helps your BSR ranking. The key is to first, make certain you’re in the right main Amazon Product Category. And, second, ensure that the Keyword Search Terms (which include each Browse Tree Node – a.k.a. subcategory) are 100% aligned with your Amazon Product Category. Otherwise, you’ll find your product ranking in the wrong category resulting in very few sales.
Each Node in your Browsing Tree shoppers click to search and end up buying your product, contributes to Amazon’s calculations for ranking both in the main Amazon Product Category and each subcategory.
What is the main point here? Choose the right main Amazon Product Category and use the recommended Browsing Tree Pathway so your customers can find and buy your product while boosting BSRs.
Coupon Marketing Agreement
(“Agreement”) by and between iLoveToReview.com, LLC dba MarketHustl.com, a Nevada limited liability company, (the “Company”) and the undersigned client (the “Client”), effective as of the date set forth above (the “Effective Date”) and covers all promotional campaigns for MarketHustl.
Amazon TOS Compliance
- We are not a review company. We will never ask any member to review a product.
- We have no way of tracking any information related to Amazon reviews
- Providing products in exchange for a review is against Amazon TOS.
- All campaigns are for strategic promotional purposes only
- The term “Coupon Codes” means Amazon.com coupon or promotion codes provided by Client for distribution by the Company. All Coupon Codes provided by Client to the Company shall reflect a Significant discount on the price of the product(s) described above (the “Product(s)”), but need not discount Clients’ ordinary shipping and handling costs.
- Client understands a Campaign Date will not be set until Company receives Coupon Codes for distribution as set forth below.
- The term “Redemption Target” means the numbers of people who use the Coupon Codes to claim a Product(s) from the Client’s Amazon account. Client agrees to provide Company with an accurate report showing such redemptions within three (3) business days of Company requesting it.
- The Company will use reasonable efforts to distribute the Coupon Codes by email, SMS messages or website visitors until Redemption Target has been reached, however, there is no guarantee the redemption target will be reached. The Company will be responsible for the timing, nature, and means of distributing the Coupon Codes; provided, that the Company and Client shall mutually agree in advance to any product description, marketing materials, or the like used by the Company in connection with distributing the Coupon Codes. The Coupon Codes may be distributed in conjunction with coupon codes for other products and/or services, including those of other clients.
- Campaign Fees: Client shall pay the Company the Single Promo or Standard, Basic, Business or Corporate subscription fees which are due immediately upon execution of this Agreement. The Company shall have no obligation to distribute any Coupon Codes until payment in full is received.
- Campaigns: Campaigns are defined as a coupon code promotion for a single ASIN. Single Promotions are limited to a 1 time promotion for up to 200 coupons. All subscriptions can run unlimited promotions per ASIN per month with no coupon limits.
- Client shall be responsible for timely fulfilling all orders for the Product(s) utilizing the Coupon Codes, consistent with its ordinary fulfillment policies, at its own cost. The Company will not pay for any part of the costs or retail price of the Products, and will not provide shipping, logistics, or fulfillment services. Client shall not charge shipping and handling greater than it charges paying customers for like goods.
- The Company shall not be liable for any damage or loss caused by use of the Coupon Codes, including, but not limited to, redemption by persons other than its subscribers, publication of the Coupon Codes, or redemptions of the Coupon Codes in excess of the Redemption Target. If Client believes that the Coupon Codes are being misused it is Client’s responsibility to deactivate the Coupon Codes.
- Upon the Company’s request, Client shall provide to the Company the complete fulfillment report from the time of the campaign.
- Client shall ensure that on the day of the promotion that the product price will be at a price that the Coupon Codes will reduce the item to the agreed upon amount as indicated on the cover of this Agreement. Client further promises that they shall not change the price of the item on Amazon for 5 days after the promotion launch date to ensure that the Coupon Codes will discount the product as promised for 5 days after the promotion date.
- The Term of this agreement shall be for 30 Days from the day the Coupons are first distributed by the Company for all campaigns and automatically renewed each month upon monthly subscription payment.
- Campaigns are valid for 12 months from the date of purchase and are non-refundable.
Indemnification, Insurance, Limitations on Liability.
- Client agrees to indemnify, defend and hold the Company harmless for any liability, damage, loss, claim, cause of action, injury or expense (including reasonable attorney’s fees and costs) arising from or relating to any Client’s product(s) or any product(s) promoted by Client pursuant to this Agreement, Client’s failure to fulfill any order pursuant to the Coupon Codes, any returns, reimbursements or the like, or any claim that any product promoted by Client under this Agreement was in any way defective or deficient, including, but not limited to, claims in the nature of negligence, product liability, breach of warranty (express or implied), breach of contract, or fraud (collectively the “Covered Claims”), whether for injury to person or property, or otherwise. If any Covered Claim is asserted against the Company, the client shall have the right to retain counsel of its choosing, and shall promptly notify Client of such claim.
- WITHOUT LIMITING THE OBLIGATION TO INDEMNIFY THE COMPANY UNDER PARAGRAPH a. ABOVE, NEITHER PARTY SHALL BE LIABLE TO THE OTHER FOR ANY CONSEQUENTIAL, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, PUNITIVE, OR EXEMPLARY DAMAGES OF ANY KIND, AND THE MAXIMUM LIABILITY OF EITHER PARTY HEREUNDER SHALL BE THE AMOUNT ACTUALLY PAID BY CLIENT PURSUANT TO THIS AGREEMENT.
- THE COMPANY MAKES NO WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, CONCERNING THE CONTENT OF THE REVIEWS PROVIDED BY ITS SUBSCRIBERS OR OTHERS, OR THE CONTINUING AVAILABILITY OF ANY FEATURE OR FUNCTION OF THE AMAZON.COM WEBSITE THAT MAY BE NECESSARY TO CARRY OUT THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT.
- THE COMPANY HAS NO CONTROL OVER CHANGES TO THE AMAZON.COM SITE, WHICH MAY RENDER THE COMPANY UNABLE TO FULFILL ITS OBLIGATIONS HEREUNDER. THE SERVICES HEREUNDER ARE PROVIDED ON AN “AS IS” AND “AS AVAILABLE” BASIS.
- Either party may terminate this Agreement, (a) on fourteen (14)-days written notice of the other party’s breach of this Agreement if the other party has failed to cure its breach during such period, or (b) immediately on written notice of the other party’s breach of the terms outlined in this agreement. The provisions of Section 5, 6 and 7 shall survive termination of this Agreement.
- This Agreement is the entire agreement of the parties on the subject matter hereof and supersedes any prior or concurrent discussions, negotiations or agreements concerning the same. This Agreement may only be modified in writing, signed by both parties. No failure or delay of either party in enforcing any right or obligation hereunder shall be deemed a waiver, and no waiver will be effective unless signed with the party to be charged.
- The interpretation, performance, enforcement, and breach of this Agreement shall be governed and construed under the laws of the State of Florida without reference to conflicts of law principles. Any disputes arising from or relating in any way to this Agreement shall be brought, if at all, in final, binding arbitration pursuant to the Commercial Arbitration Rules of the American Arbitration Association. Any such arbitration shall be confidential, and shall be conducted in Broward County, Florida. The prevailing party in such arbitration, and any proceedings to enforce or vacate the arbitrator’s decision shall be entitled to recover its attorney’s fees and costs.
- In the event that any provision of this Agreement is held invalid or unenforceable, then that provision will be limited or eliminated to the minimum extent necessary to render it valid and enforceable, and the remaining provisions of this Agreement will remain in full force and effect.
- This Agreement is intended for the benefit of the named parties alone, and is not intended to confer any rights on any third parties. This Agreement shall be binding upon and inure to the benefit of the parties and their respective successors and assigns.
- This Agreement reflects the negotiation and mutual intention of the parties, and will not be strictly construed against either party by reason of the party drafting this Agreement or the provision at issue.
- Any notice required or permitted hereunder shall be given in writing by mail or email at the address for each party specified below and shall be deemed effective upon receipt.
- This Agreement may be executed in counterparts and through electronic means by clicking agree below.
Copyright © 2020 markethustl.com